Friday, October 9, 2009

Busman's holiday?

So. What exactly does a photographer do on their day off?

Go and see another photographer, obviously.

The BIPP NW Did us proud and managed to get the great Martin Parr to speak at the meeting this month.

Bob and me ordered our tickets as soon as it was announced, this was one meeting I really didn't want to mss as Martin Parr is one of my favourite photographers and biggest influences I  studied his work in depth while I was at college.

It's fair to say that we weren't disappointed. He was quirky in a slightly eccentric, quintessentially English kind of way, funny, informative and fascinating to listen to. To see his photographs and hear the story behind them from the man himself was an inspiration. Me, Bob and approximately 248 other people sat awestruck as he spoke.

At this point in the tale I'm working really hard not to fall into a lecture about the genealogy of photography and how it's possible to establish who was influenced by who by studying their work. Names like Francis Frith and  John Hinde along a potted history of photography are being bitten back as I write because I know you don't find it anywhere near as fascinating as I do, your eyes would be glazing over in seconds, in 5 minutes you'd lose the will to live.  I'm such a geek -  you know that's why you love me!

No comments:

Post a Comment