Monday, July 18, 2011

War of the Roses?

Working on the basis that I'm not a born and bred Lancastrian I thought it would be fairly safe to take a job that involved me going over the border and into Yorkshire.

The job in question was the wedding of Steve and Lauren. Nice couple.

I first met Lauren at a wedding fair, as I tend to meet most of my brides but on this particular occasion we hadn't even got the display up properly when Lauren arrived.

The result was that Lauren and me stood and  had a lovely long  discussion about the dangers of large boobs and strapless wedding dresses while Bob got on with assembling the display and trying not to listen.

Shortly after that we met Steve at their home and we got on like a house on fire.

It seemed like the wedding was so far away then but before we knew it it was here.

Where does the time go?

Bob, me and Carla, this was her second wedding as a rookie, jumped into the car and set off for York where the wedding was to be held, in the Merchant Adventurers' Hall to be exact.




It's a fair trek to York from where we are so we left plenty of time for a leisurely journey and lunch on the way.

Oh, the best laid plans and all that.

After a clear run all the way we hit a wall of traffic (not literally) outside the city and from there  it took us over an hour to drive two miles.  AAAARRRRGGHH!!!!!  So much for a leisurely lunch. Thank goodness we always allow a ridiculously large  amount of time for journeys.  Darn you, York races!!


We popped into a pub and tried to get a sandwich and a coffee. "No food or hot drinks till 5."  Ho hum.

On the barman's advice we parked the car and walked the rest of the way to the hall. Good advice as it turned out, it was only a few hundred yards away and we probably couldn't have parked any nearer anyway.  Luckily, there was a cafe right next door so we managed to get our leisurely lunch after all.

Thank goodness for that. You really wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

So. What can I say about the Merchant Adventurers' hall?

 It's STUNNING...... and hidden down an alley between two shops.


What else can I tell you? It's gone straight into the top five on my list of favourite venues. I. Love. It.

The guests arrived, the groom arrived, the sun (not the newspaper) arrived, the bride arrived, everything was perfect.  I really liked their choice of decor, it fitted the venue brilliantly, very simple and natural in lovely, neutral colours.








Lauren arrived. I'm not sure who was more nervous, her or her dad.




Steve on the other hand looked as relaxed as.....a..... relaxed thing. Maybe he just hides it well.





All nerves disappeared when they met at the front.


The ceremony was lovely and very dignified as befits a venue like this one.



Or so they thought at the back. I could see what was really happening when the ring wouldn't go on.




'Eeeeeee. We're married!!!'



The gardens at the Merchant Adventurers' Hall are a bit odd,  that is to say the road beyond the walled garden is about 20 feet higher than the garden itself.  All the passing tourists on foot and on the tourist buses stopped to take photos, watch and offer their congratulations. I'm not used to working with an audience behind me but we managed.  Here's everyone sharing a toast with the onlookers hanging over the walls.


Even Napoleon dropped by for a look



Here they are sharing a cheeky kiss when they think no ones watching. Love your hair, Lauren.


Time for a walk in the garden

 and a moment of reflection.


Many congratulations, Steve and Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment